Would you like to make a difference?
It's easy and affordable with our Choose Renewable program. You can contribute to a cleaner environment and sustainable energy future by investing a few dollars every month in our Choose Renewable program. It doesn't require new equipment, any changes in how you use or receive energy, or any long-term commitments. What could be simpler?
Best of all, by supporting renewable energy, you help ensure a good quality of life for your family and your community for generations to come. Every dollar you invest in renewable energy is used to foster the growth of renewable resources.
Two dollars is all it takes
We've lowered the cost to Choose Renewable! To get started, just select the number of blocks of renewable energy you wish to purchase. Each block provides you with the equivalent of 300 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of renewable energy and costs just $2.00 additional per month. For example, if you sign up for two blocks, an additional Choose Renewable charge of $4.00 will appear on your monthly bill, and 600 kWh of your energy usage will be provided from energy sources such as wind, solar, and other renewable sources. Participation is optional; buy as much or as little as you would like.
Even a modest purchase has a big impact. Purchasing just two blocks of renewable energy per month has the same impact as offsetting 100 percent of your car's emissions for an entire year.
Why Choose Renewable?
Please note that the cost has dropped to $2.00 block since this video was created!
- It's clean. The more energy we use from renewable resources, the less we will need to rely on fossil-fuel based energy. We can reduce carbon dioxide
emissions -- which contribute to climate change -- and keep the air we breathe cleaner.
- It's sustainable. Renewable energy sources such as wind, water, biogas and solar can never be depleted. That's simply not true of conventional generation
sources such as coal, oil and natural gas. And because it's produced from resources that are available here at home, renewable energy can increase our energy independence.
- It's forward-thinking. Diversifying our power supply by adding renewable resources offers long-term advantages. For example, this limits our exposure to
expected increases in the costs of fossil fuel generation. Increasing the use of renewable resources can help control energy costs in the future, particularly when
combined with energy efficiency and conservation measures.
- It's the responsible thing to do. If we want to ensure an unlimited supply of energy resources for future generations, renewable energy is the way to go.
Where does renewable energy come from?
Through our membership in WPPI Energy, a regional power company serving Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and Iowa, we have access to energy from the following renewable resources:
- Wind. Wind energy, the fastest growing source of renewable energy, comes from wind turbines and is 100 percent emission-free.
- Biogas. Landfill gas is converted into electricity, significantly reducing methane (a greenhouse gas) and lessening air pollution.
- Solar. Energy from the sun is converted into electrical energy without producing any emissions.
Stoughton Utilities is an industry leader
Stoughton Utilities and our customers have repeatedly been recognized by the U.S. Department of Energy's National Renewable Energy Laboratory
for our successful green power programs. We have ranked in the top 10 utilities nationwide for Top Green Power Participation Rate
and Top Green Power Sales Rate
listed amongst other cities such as Portland OR, Sacramento CA, and Austin TX.
Sign up today
You can easily add renewable energy blocks to your account online by logging in to My Account
. Once you have logged in, select Payment & Billing Options from the menu.
If you prefer, you can also download and complete the
, and return it to us by mail or email.
If you would like more information or an analysis of your household's needs, please contact us