Public Power Scholarship Available
As your locally owned, not-for-profit utility, Stoughton Utilities works to not only provide reliable, cost-effective utility services, but to also support and enrich the community. One way we do this is to offer an annual scholarship in the amount of $1,000 to an upcoming high school graduate.
Scholarship recipients are chosen based on submitted application materials. To be eligible, the student's parents or legal guardians must be a customer of Stoughton Utilities.
- Students have the option of writing an essay or making a short promotional video.
- Essay submissions should address one or more of the following questions:
- What are the advantages of public power?
- Why is energy efficiency important?
- What could Stoughton High School do to reduce its energy use?
- Why should we as a nation invest in renewable energy?
- What is the most important issue facing municipal electric utilities in America?
- Video submissions should promote Stoughton Utilities and address the advantages of public power.
- High school seniors may submit the above listed application materials to be considered for a $1,000.00 scholarship. One scholarship is awarded per calendar year. To be eligible, the student, their parents, or their legal guardian must be a customer of Stoughton Utilities at the time of scholarship disbursement.
- Essays should be 750 – 1,000 words, typed, and double-spaced.
- Videos should be no more than 5 minutes long.
- Both essay and video must include the following information with the submission:
- Student’s first and last name, home address, and phone number,
- Name of parent(s) or legal guardian,
- Stoughton Utilities account information, including the name on the account, the billing address, and the customer account number.
- Deadline for submitting essays is May 1, 2020. Please submit your essay or home energy audit to Stoughton Utilities, either in-person at our office, in the curbside drop box, by email to [email protected], or by mail to:
attn: Scholarship Application
P.O. Box 383
Stoughton, WI 53589
Videos should be submitted by uploading to YouTube or Vimeo. Email the link to your video along with your information above to [email protected].
- Scholarship winners will be selected by the Stoughton Utilities Director. Winners will be notified by phone.
- By submitting application materials, you are agreeing to allow Stoughton Utilities to use those materials for promotional purposes. You may opt-out of this agreement in writing at any time.
Stoughton Utilities is a good source of information through interviews with their employees and our website. More information about Public Power is also available at libraries or on the internet, including WPPI Energy and American Public Power Association.
Scholarships are awarded to essay contest winners who plan on attending a post-secondary educational institution. The scholarship will be paid to the winner when a copy of a fee statement or other proof of enrollment is submitted to Stoughton Utilities. Bring or mail proof to our office, along with the address for the check to be mailed
Proof of enrollment must be submitted no later than November 30th of the year in which the scholarship is awarded.